Friday, January 18, 2008

End of Week 1

For those of you who don't believe I am actually doing work and think mostly I'm on vacation (Steve), I figured I'd give a little update on what I did this week at Sibanye. I will work to get some pictures posted next week -- at most of the volunteer placements, they discourage taking and posting photos on blogs because children and patients infected with HIV are involved. I have a little more flexibility at my placement so I'm sure they'll be cool if I ask to take and post some photos.

As I mentioned, Sibanye is a non-profit organization committed to providing free raw materials, training, business skills education, and market access to HIV-infected and affected South African communities producing homemade crafts. It is located in the Khayelitsha township (about 30 minutes away from where I'm staying), and most of the local crafters are from Khayelithsha. They also sell goods from about 20 craft-based NGOs from around South Africa. It is hoped that acquiring these crafting (sewing, beading, glass-making, pottery, paper mache, etc.) skills will be the first step to economic independence for the majority of people in these low-income areas (and by low income, I mean shacks, no electricity in some cases, multiple families in a 2 room "house").

This week, I was able to put my skills to the test. I've been a copywriter, retailer, trainer, consultant, coffee-maker, handyman, and bookkeeper. I've learned that Jo-lene, our director, is an absolute saint playing all these roles (and others) every day since 04.

Currently, we're working on making the Sibanye "brand" cohesive. We're working on a new brochure that customers receive when they walk into Sibanye that really gives the history of the NGO, and lets people know that a purchase at Sibanye directly supports the local craftmakers. I'm also working on a branding style guide so everything looks cohesive going forward.

We've also been focused on getting the craft shop in order. It's a retail store so the 4 volunteers (all females) have had a blast moving things around, seeing all of the beautiful things that were made, and making sure they're prominently displayed. We tried using a drill today in cement walls--i learned i may not have my mother's knack for handywork, but i'm determined to learn.

Also, we've worked on developing a welcome speech for when local tour groups come that provides an overview of the organization. We are training the staff from Khayelitsha to deliver the speech in English and they have been AMAZING. These two women, Pulani and Noliolo, have been drilled over and again by yours truly to deliver the speech. "Make sure your projecting, do it again, pretend I'm a customer." And it's been truly the best part of my week. Not pushing them around--but really seeing them take ownership of this speech and gain confidence in their ability to speak to the customers.

There's a lot to do and we're just scratching the surface but it's nice to go to work everyday and feel like you've made a difference.

Dad and Uncle Vic, I see a CCS trip in your future. Who could see Dad and Vic with the cooks monitoring the cleanliness of the kitchen and sweeping the floors compulsively? I could!!! (But you'll be happy to know they scrub the bathrooms daily....) The food is a bit lacking...if i eat bran flakes and wheat toast one more day, I may lose it. But there are plenty of restaurant's here in cape town and I will experience my first tonight.

Hope you are all well and have a great weekend. I'm off to Cape Point (the cape of good hope) tomorrow and will be going into the city sunday (green market square, live concert in kirstenbosch to see a south african band. Will let you know all about it sunday night.

Love,
C

5 comments:

Adam Csillag said...

lots of penguins at the cape of good hope. have fun. if i was a penguin, I wouldn't walk. I would just slide down the hill on my belly.

Daniel Capece said...

Carol. Well I don't know if it would be in South Africa, but I guess I could clean and cook somewhere. Sounds like you've got your arms around what they are trying to do and are comfortable with your surroundings and the assignment. That of course, makes me feel good. Maybe it's some old orientation of mine but it seems like the export angle could work well for this venture. Do they leverage that channel? On the recreational side - that's OK too. You are allowed to explore the surroundings. My expectation is you'll return a better Carol than the one who boarded the So. Africa flight. I wonder if we'll "recognize" you.

Tracy said...

Sounds like you've had a very busy first week. I finally had time tonight to check out the Sibanye website. I'm still trying to think of a way to get my kids involved. I'm thinking some type of fund raiser. You'd have to help me out with how we would actually get the proceeds to Sibanye. Anyway, enjoy the weekend and all the sight seeing. Can't wait to keep reading your updates!

Paul says hi too!

Tracy said...

Paul wants to know if you can make your blog available on audio books.

Tracy said...

He also said he would like it narrated by Mr. T.