Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Patience Really Is a Virtue

If there's one thing in particular that Capece's do not excel in, it's patience. Especially this Capece. I admit it--I may have a small tendency to get hot under the collar about certain things.

Well, I'm learning a thing or 2 on this trip. And boy, am I learning quick... A glimpse of my day for your reading pleasure:

-6am - a breathtaking run in Cape Town with a fellow volunteer, Danielle. Fog over Table Mountain with a bit of sun peeking through to illuminate the apex of the mountain--picturesque....

-7am - All hell breaks loose. The girls learn "Heath Ledger has died"

-7:45am - One of "the Vicki's" (sorry Vic) screaming in the van on the way to our volunteer placements: "Like oh my god, i can't believe like about heath ledger. like oh my god. he was like so hot. I mean he was AMAAAAAAAAAAAAZING in A Knight's Tale. Like oh my god."

-8:15am - on our way to work in the townships, one woman states in complete amazement (this happens daily like we're not working the actual townships, driving to and from every singly day): "hmm, hmm, hmm (shakes her head in disapproval). Here we are in the ghetto again. such a shame, (slower this time) such---a---shame... ". Ok, I think we got it.

-1pm - "The Vicki's" (sorry Vic) on the way back from our volunteer placements: "oh my god, i wanna like get so wasted tonight. what are you doing tonight?" "Me?" "Like yeah you." "i'm gonna get wasted tonight too. This volunteering thing is, like, so hard..."

-6pm - Innocently eating my salad at dinner and watch a three inch worm, the color of our arugala, being pulled out of the salad bowl by the woman sitting next to me while I'm chewing a mouthful. The fried bread and lentil dinner (top quality) are not sitting so well...

-6:15pm - I walk into the maids quarters (our bedroom) and tell Steph that we need to escape for a drink. But we need to be stealthy to get out without any additions to our party. Stephanie and I decide a bottle of wine at our local restuarant, the fat cactus is completely necessary.

-6:30 pm -Order a bottle of Excelsior Cabernet Sauvignon, local south african wine--79 Rand (about $11)

-8pm - wine gone

-8:05pm - Homebound. All along the streets of cape town, daily newspaper headlines are mounted on the streetlights. An unusual, but very cool, phenomenon. Carol and Stephanie come across one mounted on cardboard with the big bold headline "Heath Ledger Dies". It is brought home for "the Vicki's" (sorry Vic)--in memoriam....

-9:15pm - I decide to blog about my typical, somewhat ridiculous day and I appreciate my little sister much, much more...

I guess you need lots of personalities to make a trip memorable--and we've got them.

Hope you are all well!

Love
C

14 comments:

Tracy said...

I literally laughed out loud! Stay strong Carol!

Unknown said...

thank you for that. you just made my day bearable. miss you. xo.

Daniel Capece said...

Who says Capece's are not patient? Why don't you just smack a couple of those little _____ ? They'll get the message. Somehow I don't think that Vic is in the same category with these kids. You've got my e-mail, I had my say, I remain dear old Dad. Mom will talk to you later.
Dad

Daniel Capece said...

Hi Car! I really did write yesterday but I'm still a little tech deficient. Sewing machine,yes...computer, not so much! Now after saying that,lead plugs are the way to go with cement or cement block walls. Also need to know if Magic Window can help with any raw materials. You know carrying inventory is always a pet peeve with dear ol dad!!!! The store looks great and it seems like this turned out to be the perfect fit for you. Miss you a little, and hope everything will continue to go as you expect. Safari huh, never realized that went hand in hand with luxury.
On the Vicster, will you be apologizing for the next year. As we always say, HOPE SPRINGS ETERNAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Speak to you soon. M

Daniel Capece said...

I will have you know that my thoughts go a bit deeper than getting wasted and Heath Ledger. Although, the first can be of priority at times.
...Just kidding :)
Glad to see everything's going well, the shop looks awesome. I'll be placing several orders as soon as I get hold of mom and/or dad's credit card.

Sounds like South Africa is pretty amazing. If you're planning on a second trip, count me in!

Mom has begun to annoy me so I am going to leave the vacinity.

Miss you!...almost.

Much love,
Vic

Daniel Capece said...

*vicinity

Unknown said...

(ahem) That doesn't sound like the same Vicki I met in our offices recently. Are we talking about the same person? Anway, glad to hear you've found a kindred spirit there. Keep the wine flowing and get to work on time! ;-)

The gang misses you back in NYC (I'm in SF at present). Please send more pics of the townships if you can! Am sending interesting article from today's WSJ featuring your pal Bill.

Unknown said...

Hey Carol -your words have me in stitches, ove it but do feel bad for you. Hang in there chick. Gen

your mom said...

Carol, you are too funny for words and did you know? Heath Ledger died.

And the items the store sells are AWESOME!

kim (lk) f/k/a little kim

Unknown said...

Oh my god, peeing in my pants. Its like you're sitting at my kitchen table telling me these stories - this blog is great! And leave poor Vic alone - she's unnecessarily getting an international bad rap. On a serious note, the store looks AMAZING - you have definitely been busy in two short weeks. As for those cute teddy bears, don't forget all the babies back here in NY who like new "lovies" to chew on. Keep your head up, and make sure to scold those girls that Heath Ledger's best accomplishment was most certainly NOT a Knight's Tale... (you know i can't resist the celebrity gossip - ha ha).

Adam Csillag said...

This brings back memories of when I was in Israel when Jerry Garcia died...

Unknown said...

Carol, so happy you're getting this experience...I'm enjoying every update, keep them coming.

Matt

P.S. Vactoria, I'm proud of you for waking up at 6am this morning to correct your spelling

Adam Csillag said...

Hey, NYTimes Travel to Cape town: http://travel.nytimes.com/2008/01/27/travel/27hours.html?ex=1359003600&en=243ab9a46cb56677&ei=5088&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss

Pretty cool. Be sure to check out the District 6 Museum. Its very moving, I loved the map on the floor.

Lenny Lufrano said...

Sorry I haqve been behined the curve catching up on this.
Sounds like a great adventure.
Do you have a SKYPE Account?