Monday, January 14, 2008

Orienting...

Today was another interesting day. Still jet lagged but powered through most of the day (save a 20 minute power nap in a van on the way back from one of our excursions). Spent the morning learning about my and my fellow volunteer's job placements. It sounds like I'm going to have an opportunity to put my marketing skills to the test. Will write more about that tomorrow -- start my placement at 8:30am. Am super excited!

This afternoon, we took a tour of the four main black townships in and around Cape Town. The tour guide was a local woman (Ivy) who is a native of the township. It was really eye opening. There's an incredible amount of poverty here, but there's a very strong, proud heritage of black and coloured South Africans that gives these areas, however modest, a surprisingly upbeat feel.

It may also have something to do with the spirit of the children living in these areas. They are fun, funny, and really loveable. No wonder Angelina keeps coming back with a new one every time she's here. (Don't worry, I'm not getting any ideas.)

I'm posting some pics of the townships and have embedded a video of the "Gum boot dancers"--a young South African boys dance troupe who put on a pretty amazing show for us. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qBhDXupl2ms

C

No comments: