Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Working

So, I went on "vacation" and I have to work. Bad part: getting up in the sixes to be there at 8:30. Great part: working for Sibanye with the NGO director, Jo-lene. This organization does such great things and it really is the perfect fit for me. I am going to be helping the director out with some of the marketing activities at Sibanye including helping formalize the Sibanye brand, develop and refine grant requests, identify potential organizations for grants, and develop some collateral materials for their store. Lots to do in 6 weeks!

I was placed there with Marcy, another volunteer at CCS. There was a nice surprise when we got there in that 2 other girls are volunteering. They are from Scotland and London. Both are 19 (part of "the vicki's") but they seem great and have some really great ideas. So, that should be really fun.

Right now, I'm just trying to get my feet wet and understand the organization. I was so amazed at some of the goods that were developed by these local artisans. If you saw these townships, you'd think that nothing beautiful could come out of them. And you'd be totally wrong. I was. The website (sibanye.org.za) does no justice to the goods they've created and the store they've set up. It is so cute. Also, it is located in a government building right in the Khayelitsha township where there were local glassmakers, beadmakers, bagmakers, artists. It's like Williamsburg--but real (sorry to all you hipsters out there).

That's it for now. Going to head out tonight and grab some drinks with the ladies. See you soon!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad to hear you're adjusting so well! Don't get too comfortable - we'd miss you! :)

Adam Csillag said...

I wrote you a poem. Ready?

"Shit, its cold!"

the end.

Tracy said...

Hi Carol,

I just found out about your blog. I had no idea! It's sounds like an amazing experience so far. You know I'll be checking everyday and trying to think of a way to get my kids involved.

BTW--I'm not on your email list, so add me if you have a chance.

Stay well!
Tracy

TRAVELING FOIE said...

This is pretty cool!! I can see you're having a great time and I like that you can share it with us all!! Hope your cold is better.